Tuesday, October 26, 2010

From the Beginning

Every story has a beginning and this is mine.  I was born in California and lived there for a year. My parents then moved to Sunnyslope, Arizona.  We lived in a few different places while in Sunnyslope.  My memories are from a duplex that had our place and another apartment next door.  While my dad worked my mom would walk me to the park that was just a couple of houses away or we would go to this Mexican Restaurant that was on the corner of Hatcher and like 7th Avenue.  My mom didn't start driving until we moved to our house on Surrey off of 19th Avenue and Thunderbird.  Before we moved to our house on Surrey my parents added my brother to our family.  I was 4 years old when B came along.  I remember my mom going to the hospital and my being excited to get to sleep in their bed while she was gone.  When my mom came home from the hospital, she had my brother with her and our lives changed.

When at the duplex I remember the first time my parents left me with a babysitter.  Let's just say, their time away wasn't that long.  I cried for ever and wouldn't leave my room.  I had a real cool spring horse that I played on when the babysitter stepped out of my room.

My parents best friends who lived down the road from our duplex, had 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl.  I remember going to their home all the time.  Their daughter Nona would babysit us all the time and when I became a teenager, I babysat her son and daughter.  I believe my parents friends introduced us to church and we started to attend Central Heights Baptist Church.

When mom and dad found their home on Surrey I was 5 years old. The John F. Long  homes were still being built so there were no fences around the homes.  I vaguely remember walking through the house while it was being built and thinking, "How cool is this".  And when we finally did move in it was so different from the duplex and fun to see every ones back yard.  I met this one girl who lived behind us, three houses away, she was my friend for the longest time.  I think her name was Shelly.  A girl name April moved into the house next door.  She was the type of friend that you thought was a friend but always got you into trouble or tattled on you. 

I didn't attend Kindergarten.  The school in our neighborhood was still being built so my first year in school was 1st grade.  That first year at Moon Mountain our classroom was in a portable.  My teacher was Mrs. Suttlif (spelling).  She was the most loving teacher I had through my years of school.  I had a difficult time starting in 4th grade.  An average student, even close to failing.  I sometimes wish my parents would have held me back in grade school.  Of course I would have been even more devastated then I was when struggling through school if they would have held me back in 4th grade.

I graduated Thunderbird High school in 1984.  While attending high school I participated in choir my freshman year, modern dance sophomore and junior year, FBLA and COE my senior year.  I really missed out on a lot of things in high school one being homecoming and prom.  I kind of think I was a nerd in high school.  I knew a lot of people because we went to elementary school together and then high school but didn't really "hang out" with many of those people.  Most of the friends I hung out with were from church and they attended a different high school.

After graduation I started to drive and worked at Wendy's off of Peoria and 31st Ave.  I also attended GCC North for 2 years.  Talk about coming out of cave and having new experiences in college with new friends.  I'm still best friends with my girlfriend L that I met at 18 in choir.  She and I had a lot of good times, who knows I may even tell you about those times later on in my blog.  A girl has to pace herself and keep you interested you know.

When at GCC I met my first husband.  We married in 1989, had our daughter in 1992 and divorced in 1993.  And all of that is for a future story, maybe.  Of course I'll be bragging and talking about V so don't panic yet, she's too much about who I am that I would never pass up on sharing our story.

I currently work in a School.  When I opened the school 10 years ago, I was the Accounting Clerk.  Now, for the past 5 years I've been the school Secretary.  Eleven years ago I married my husband J.  We met at Karsten Manufacturing. J was an Electrician and I worked in Assembly.  After marrying, we had our house built and still live at this location today.  J and I have been together for 16 years and married 11 of those years, he was a stubborn man who didn't want to rush into a second marriage.

Our daughter is a senior.  I guess because I know so much is going to change here in the next year, I've chosen to write this blog.  I want to remember our times together and maybe even help someone else who goes through this time of change with their child.

So my hope is you will find humor in my stories, maybe even cry with me at times of change that you too have experienced, find encouragement in my words, but above all else, enjoy what I have to share.  Until my next post, peace out and God Bless. - C

1 comment:

  1. Carrie - what a small world! I think I already told you that I went to Moon Mountain Elementary School too. We lived in that same John F. Long neighborhood...on 20th Ave. near Wood. My two older brothers went to Thunderbird HS a few years before you did. We moved right before my Freshman year, so I had to go to Deer Valley HS.
    It's neat to hear your history and to get to know you a little better.

    ReplyDelete